Skip to Navigation Skip to Content Skip to Secondary Navigation

Previous grant recipients

 

Newmarket Hotel, Hamilton Hill (1912)

A 2015-16 Heritage Grants Program recipient


Street - BEFORE Street - AFTER Rear verandah - BEFORE Rear verandah - AFTER South wall - BEFORE South wall - AFTER Floor - BEFORE Floor - AFTER
* Images courtesy Hocking Heritage Studio


After being on the market for over a decade, the former Newmarket Hotel, built in 1912, finally found itself a new owner in 2015. The change in ownership also saw a change in function for the former Hotel, with the new owner undertaking an ambitious project to convert the heavily vandalised and deteriorated premises into a ballet studio.

As part of the restoration, work to repoint the stone and brick façades and south elevation, along with repairs to original wooden flooring and other internal and external joinery was undertaken, with assistance from a $100,000 grant under the Heritage Council's 2015/16 Heritage Grants Program.

Now complete, the project to restore the renamed Hamilton House has reactivated a dormant (and deteriorating) heritage space, ensuring it remains in use and connected to West Australians for generations to come.



Scots Presbyterian Church, Fremantle (1890)

A 2015-16 Heritage Grants Program recipient

Scots Presbyterian above altar view Scots Presbyterian Brickwork - Before and after Scots Presbyterian Bell Platform - Before and after Scots Presbyterian Arch - Before and after Scots Presbyterian Window - Before, during and after Scots Presbyterian Damp Remediation - Before, during and after Scots Presbyterian Damp Remediation 2 - Before and after Scots Presbyterian Quoining - Before and after Scots Presbyterian Tower - Before and after Scots Presbyterian Tower Louvres - Before and after Scots Presbyterian historic graffiti
* Images courtesy Hocking Heritage Studio and Department of Planning, Lands and Heritage


The City of Fremantle’s Scots Presbyterian Church, a Federation Free Gothic-styled limestone, brick and terracotta tiled building, on the corner of South Terrace and Parry Street, has been a Fremantle landmark since its construction in 1890.

Now more than 100-years-old, the church has been slowly conserved over the past few years, with restoration of the badly deteriorated upper section of the bell tower taking priority over other tasks. The majority of this work was completed in the first part of 2015, with the Church then turning its attention to the lower section of the tower, where the stone and brick masonry needed repointing for the final phase of this considerable undertaking. Minor conservation works to the church’s interior were also required, following previous repairs to areas where damp affected plaster had been removed.

The now completed works were assisted by a $62,000 grant under the Heritage Council's Heritage Grants Program.
inHerit - an online portal for heritage listings

Contact Us

Our Office hours are from Monday to Friday 8:30 am to 5:00 pm.


View Larger Map


Heritage is integral to the vibrant life and prosperity of Western Australia.
General Enquiries

Level 2, 491 Wellington Street, Perth WA 6000

PO Box 7479
Cloisters Square PO WA 6850

T: (08) 6551 8002
Freecall (regional): 1800 52 4000
F: (08) 6552 4001
info@dplh.wa.gov.au

Follow Us
@StateHeritage