Skip to Navigation Skip to Content


2016-17 Heritage Grants Program recipients

This year, 28 projects were awarded heritage grants – 13 metropolitan and 15 regional projects, and a total of $1.273 million was allocated in funding.

Read the Minister's media statement here.

metropolitan

 Lilly's Buildings Lilly's Buildings, Fremantle                                                                             $56,991.00
Heritage Place No. 859

Heritage Architect: Suzanne Hunt Architect Pty Ltd

Located within the West End of Fremantle, the Lilly’s Buildings were constructed in 1897 using rubble limestone and brick, with corrugated iron roofs. The terraced Victorian Free Classical buildings have been used as offices since construction. Now approaching their 120th birthday, the buildings need various conservation works to restore the facades to their original glory.

Repairs to the brickwork of the northernmost wall and to the west wall will help correct many small areas of deterioration and damage, and prevent further damage from occurring. Further works will be undertaken to door and window framing to ensure openings remain operable, before a repaint takes place.
St Columba's
St. Columba's Church and Hall, Peppermint Grove                                $100,000.00
Heritage Place No. 1927

Heritage Architect: Hocking Heritage Studio

Built on the corner of Keane and Venn Streets in Peppermint Grove, St Columba’s Presbyterian was the first place of worship constructed in Peppermint Grove and was also home to the original Cottesloe School, which operated from the hall whilst the proper school premises were being built.

Built with locally quarried Cottesloe limestone, the church takes a Federation Gothic style, with Norman elements. Despite regular maintenance, the building’s stone exterior is suffering from erosion and has heavy build up (dark areas) on the stone, with cracking to window sills, door and window reveals. The cross that once topped the pinnacle was also lost several years ago, and several of the original lead light windows are beginning to buckle, requiring specialist repair. This year’s grant will help rectify all of these issues, improving the condition and visual appearance of the church, which has been in continuous use since 1909.

St John's Lutheran
St. John's Lutheran Church, Perth                                                               $1,500.00
Heritage Place No. 1943

Heritage Architect: Ronald Bodycoat Architect

The first Lutheran Church built in WA, St John’s has served the Lutheran and wider community since its construction on Aberdeen Street in 1936. Built in the Inter-War Gothic style, the church was also the first building in Perth to make use of the orange-brown laterite stone from Darlington, which has been laid in random coursing in all exterior walls.

To help ensure the building remains well looked after into the future, a grant of $1,500 has been awarded to assist with the costs of a Conservation Management Strategy. Once complete, the Strategy will provide a sound guide for future conservation works and maintenance, as well as documenting and ranking the various elements of significance.

Gledden Building
Gledden Building, Perth                                                                               $100,000.00
Heritage Place No. 2002

Heritage Architect: Griffiths Architects

A landmark building located at the corner of the Hay Street Mall and William Street in Perth, the Gledden Building commenced construction in 1937 and was one of Perth's tallest buildings. It is the only high-rise Inter-War Art Deco office building in Perth and was built with a basement restaurant, two level shopping arcade, office accommodation and a rooftop lookout. It remains in use as office and retail space today, although the basement and rooftop are no longer accessible to the public.

Unfortunately the art deco construction is susceptible to concrete cancer, with the façade showing evidence of this in cracking and spalling concrete. This year’s grant will assist with the removal of defective concrete and corroded structural steel, and replacement with new concrete and fresh steel to retain the original finish and construction. Deteriorated window joinery to the north and west façades will also be conserved as part of the project.

 18 & 20 Howard St
18 & 20 Howard Street, Perth                                                                      $11,000.00
Heritage Place No. 2023

Heritage Architect: Palassis Architects

Long term residents of Howard Street in Perth, 18 & 20 Howard Street are found surrounded by skyscrapers on a steeply sloping street running from St George’s Terrace down to Elizabeth Quay. Their individual beauty often not taken in by passers-by, the buildings will be the subject of a Conservation Management Plan this year, which will document the history of the two buildings, with both buildings constructed in 1905 in contrasting styles - No.18 in the Federation Gothic style and No.20 contrasting Federation Free style.

Once complete, the Conservation Management Plan will also offer guidance for the conservation, maintenance and future use and development of the buildings, which have served as inner city office space for 111 years.

Belvedere
Belvedere, Cottesloe                                                                                      $58,326.40
Heritage Place No. 3452

Heritage Architect: Rodrigues Bodycoat Architects & Ronald Bodycoat Architect

Built in 1897, Belvedere is one of Cottesloe’s original seaside residences. A single storey limestone building with tuck-pointed red brick quoining and a grand tower, the building takes a Federation style and originally sat in grounds that reached to the corner of Marine Parade and Rosendo Street. Over time the grounds have reduced due to subdivision, with the house itself offered for sale as a development site in 1974. Fortunately, the building was retained as a residence by the purchasers, saving it from redevelopment. Unfortunately though, modifications to the verandahs, and painting and rendering of key building elements has changed the appearance of the building and impacted structural integrity.

This year’s grant assistance will enable the current owners to remove the intrusive and defective verandah structure before using historic images to reconstruct a verandah that matches the original appearance. The funding will also assist with repairs to the original stone stair to the verandah. These works not only ensure the verandah and stairs are structurally sound, but also bring back the original appearance of the building.

 19 Suffolk St
19 Suffolk Street                                                                                                 $3,630.00
Group of Four Houses at 19-25 Suffolk Street, Fremantle
Heritage Place No. 3481

Heritage Architect: Alice Steedman Architect

A member of four Victorian Georgian houses on Suffolk Street, Fremantle, No.19 is a two-storey limestone walled, iron roofed residence built in 1886. Celebrating its 130th birthday this year, some of limestone walls are deteriorating and showing evidence of damp, although the cause cannot readily be identified.

An investigation into the cause of the deterioration will be undertaken with assistance from the Heritage Grants Program, with a report detailing appropriate methods of remediation being produced, to inform future works. With the cause properly addressed as part of future works, repairs to the walls will be long lasting, keeping them intact for many years to come.

6 Moir St









6 Moir Street

08 - P03992 - 18 Moir Street - DSHO










18 Moir Street

26 Moir St








26 Moir Street

27 Brookman St









27 Brookman Street
Brookman and Moir Streets Precinct, Perth
Heritage Place No. 3992

6 Moir Street                                                                                                     $41,910.00
Heritage Architect: Griffiths Architects

18 Moir Street                                                                                                $100,000.00
Heritage Architect: Annabel Wills Architecture

26 Moir Street                                                                                                  $85,428.75
Heritage Architect: Griffiths Architects

27 Brookman Street                                                                                       $72,621.78
Heritage Architect: Annabel Wills Architecture

Almost 120 years old, Perth’s Brookman and Moir Streets Precinct was built as a residential estate for working class families between 1897-98, with the corner shop added in 1940. It was the largest estate of its type developed in Western Australia, with all but one of the residences built semi-detached. When constructed, the houses were uniform in appearance with traditional tuck-pointed red brick facades with stucco bands, pillowed limestone footings, wooden verandahs with cast-iron lacework, sash windows and topped with corrugated iron roofs.

Despite the residences changing hands over the years, the Precinct remains almost intact, with the houses still used as private residences, and only one original residence removed since 1898. One thing that has changed over time is the appearance of several of the houses, with some original facades completely rendered over and painted, and several houses now missing the original Federation Queen Anne styled barge boards, decorative gable covers and finials.

The Precinct is also located in an area once known as Perth’s Great Lakes District, and was formerly swampland, with peat soils under most of the properties comprising the Precinct. Dewatering and changing water table levels have caused the peat layer to expand and contract, causing structural cracking to many of the residences.

This year, four properties from the Precinct were successful under the Heritage Grants Program, with 18 Moir St, 26 Moir St and 27 Brookman St all seeking to reinstate the original tuck-pointed appearance and repair damaged or deteriorating brickwork. 6 Moir St, 18 Moir St and 27 Brookman St also sought assistance with underpinning of the footings and repairs to structural cracking. Some of the properties will also be undertaking roof works and reinstating the original verandahs, barge boards, finials and lacework. This work will not only improve the condition of these much loved residences, but it will also contribute to the overall streetscape of this unique metropolitan Precinct.
 53 Helena St
House, 53 Helena Street, Guildford                                                               $8,700.00
Heritage Place No. 14344

Heritage Architect: Ronald Bodycoat Architect

Constructed in the 1870s, 53 Helena Street is a simple but solid brick cottage, with rendered walls and a high pitched short sheet iron roof. The cottage was constructed for a member of the Pensioner Guard, a unit that consisted of retired soldiers who were engaged as convict guards in the Swan River Colony’s early days.

Like many structures of this vintage, the early roof sheets have served the cottage well, but are now deteriorating, lifting in sections and beginning to rust. Assistance under the Heritage Grants Program will see two facings of the roof and the verandah re-sheeted this year, ensuring the building remains weatherproof, protecting the cottage from the elements and improving its appearance.

 22-26 Pakenham St
Warehouse, 22-26 Pakenham Street, Fremantle                                     $28,094.00
Heritage Place No. 18772

Heritage Architect: Hocking Heritage Studio

An unusually intact example of an early warehouse, 22-26 Pakenham Street was built in 1907 in the heart of Fremantle’s West End Precinct. The two-storey red brick building now functions as exhibition/gallery space and artists studios, and has been lucky to find itself the subject of an ongoing conservation program, following completion of a Conservation Management Plan in 2010.

This year’s project to continue conservation of the facades will see cement repairs removed and replaced with traditional lime mortar, rusted lintels replaced, cracks repaired and intrusive paint removed from the lower entrance walls. This work will help stabilise the façades and bring back the original appearance of the lower walls.


regional


Hawthorndene
Hawthorndene, Albany                                                                                       $4,451.70
Heritage Place No. 46

Heritage Architect: H+H Architects

Constructed in 1892 for surveyor William Henry Angove, Hawthorndene is a single storey stone and iron residence built in the Victorian Rustic Gothic style not far from Albany’s popular Strawberry Hill Farm and Gardens.

A detailed scope of works, incorporating structural engineer’s advice, is being compiled to guide future conservation works to the property and ensure best practice is applied when undertaking the work.

Lyric Theatre
Lyric Theatre (fmr), Bunbury                                                                       $100,000.00
Heritage Place No. 374

Heritage Architect: Kent Lyon Architect

Bunbury’s former Lyric Theatre has long contributed to the local community, serving as a theatre and shops for most of its 111 year life. The building was the recipient of a facelift in 1937, removing the original 1905 façade and replacing it with the design presented today. The original Edwardian interior remains largely intact, but unfortunately there is damage to some of the flooring and cracking to elements of the two façades, as identified in recent property inspections.

Repairs to defective lintels, stitching of cracks and repainting of the façades will see the exterior stabilised and protected, with repairs to the interior flooring also being assisted by this year’s grant to ensure all interior spaces are safe and accessible.

Rose Hotel
Rose Hotel and Sample Room, Bunbury                                                        $5,850.00
Heritage Place No. 376

Heritage Architect: Annabel Wills Architecture

Found on the corner of Victoria and Wellington Streets in Bunbury, the Rose Hotel and Sample Room dates back to 1863 and presents with a finely detailed cast iron verandah, demonstrating freedom of design against a Free-Classical styled building backdrop. Once a common sight throughout the WA, buildings such as this are becoming rare - rarer still to find them operating for the purpose of their original construction.

The Rose Hotel and Sample Room is unique amongst the remaining examples as it is home to a detached Sample Room (c1900) where commercial travellers could conduct business away from the Hotel proper.

This year’s funding will assist with the compilation of a Conservation Management Plan, a comprehensive document recording the history of the place, as well as providing guidance for the future management and development of the place.

Forrest Homestead
Forrest Homstead, Picton                                                                                $22,816.00
Heritage Place No. 381

Heritage Architect: Ariane Prevost

Picton’s Forrest Homestead has maintained an unbroken association with William Forrest’s family since its construction in 1849. The Homestead was the childhood residence of Sir John Forrest, the first Premier of WA and Government Surveyor, and his brothers, many of whom also played pivotal roles in the development of Western Australia. In addition to the Homestead, the property contains a row of olive trees, with one planted by William Forrest for each of his sons.

In recent years, the trees have found themselves blighted by olive lace bug, a sap sucking insect that is impacting the health of these irreplaceable and highly significant trees. This year’s grant will assist with a condition assessment and treatment of the infestation, ensuring the trees can prosper and serve the memory of this important Western Australian family for many years to come.

Exchange Hotel
Exchange Hotel, Kalgoorlie                                                                           $100,000.00
Heritage Place No. 1289

Heritage Architect: Annabel Wills Architecture

One of the State Heritage Register’s newest recruits, the Exchange Hotel in Kalgoorlie is one of those places people assume has always been on the Register due to its many associations and grand stature. Built in 1901, the two-storey Hotel displays grand Federation Filigree style, and has retained many of the original features despite being 115 years old. The Federation Filigree style was employed in the hotter areas of Australia as it was designed to create shade whilst still allowing a free flow of air.

The Exchange Hotel has operated continuously since construction, and was one of Kalgoorlie’s first hotels. Although most of the building is in fair to good condition, some areas of the building have deteriorated over the years and require immediate action to prevent further loss of the original building fabric. With the assistance of this year’s heritage grant, the Exchange Hotel will have ground levels around the building lowered to assist with drainage, as well as works being undertaken to the verandah, roof, internal and external walls, and windows.

ANZ Katanning
ANZ Bank, Katanning                                                                                          $4,274.50
Heritage Place No. 1352

Heritage Architect: H+H Architects

Originally built as the Union Bank in 1911, Katanning’s privately owned former ANZ Bank building is a distinctively detailed two-storey building found on Clive Street, the main road running through town. Whilst it no longer operates as a bank, it served as one for almost a century, and remains an integral part of the streetscape. The building’s distinctive detailing includes a scrolled pediment and latticed concrete balustrading to the balcony.

This year’s grant will assist the building owners in compiling a Conservation Management Strategy, which will help identify and prioritise conservation works and regular maintenance tasks, and provide guidance on how to undertake these. The Strategy will also identify the various elements of significance around the property, which will assist any future development.

Old York Fire Station
Old York Fire Station, York                                                                                 $3,000.00
Heritage Place No. 2860

Heritage Architect: Ronald Bodycoat Architect

Originally serving as the local Council Chambers from 1897-1914, the Old York Fire Station at 151 Avon Terrace York has provided services to the local community for almost 120 years. For 75 of these years it served as the base for the York Volunteer Fire Brigade, and is currently in use as a book store. Despite the changes in use over time, the building remains largely intact.

To help identify works required at the building and develop a prioritised schedule for conservation and maintenance, the owner has been offered assistance with a Conservation Management Strategy. This document, together with the Conservation Management Plan, will guide future conservation of the place and helps ensure the building remains in good condition well into the future.

Store, Northcliffe
Store, Northcliffe                                                                                               $35,792.23
Heritage Place No. 3142

Heritage Architect: Annabel Wills Architecture

Built in the mid-1920s, the Store, Northcliffe is one of only two remaining examples of a timber framed store associated with group settlement in our south west. A simple building, the Store was the first commercial premises built in Northcliffe and presents a weatherboard façade, with corrugated iron cladding to the rear and side walls. A recent project to reinstate the original roof pitch and replace the controversially painted “Save our old growth forest” roof sheeting revealed that the walls were no longer level, and temporary propping had to be installed to enable completion of the project.

To remedy this situation, funds have been awarded this year for a structural engineer’s report and recommendations, along with funds to correct the levels, replace defective wall sheets, and reinstate the original verandah structure that was removed and replaced with an awning (since removed).

Walebing
Walebing, Walebing (Moora)                                                                          $47,065.00
Heritage Place No. 3268

Heritage Architect: John Taylor Heritage Architect

Established in 1851, Walebing is home to a collection of buildings that together comprise the rural station, many of which remain largely unmodified and in use despite significant changes to farming operations over time. The property has been owned by the same family since establishment, adding to its rarity.

As part of an ongoing conservation process, further works to repair and repoint the granite stone walls of several buildings will be undertaken, along with the re-roofing of the original homestead/cottage. Degraded sections of the original stone fences will also be repaired. Once completed, these works will ensure that the buildings remain serviceable and the fences stable for many years to come.

Oakabella
Oakabella, Oakabella (Northampton)                                                            $34,122.00
Heritage Place No. 3271

Heritage Architect: Eastman Poletti Sherwood

Built in the 1860s, Oakabella is a relatively complete example of a working farm from the early days of Northampton’s settlement. Among its buildings are the homestead, two-storey barn, blacksmith’s shop, stables and shearing shed. Now a popular tourist attraction with a café and small museum, it provides a fascinating insight into the life of our early settlers.

With the assistance of engineer’s advice and a recently prepared Conservation Management Plan, cracking and loose plaster to the walls of the homestead will be repaired, ensuring that Oakabella remains stable and continues to entertain and educate future generations.

Tibradden
Tibradden Homestead Group, Tibradden (Greater Geraldton)                 $6,390.00
Heritage Place No. 4630

Heritage Architect: Eastman Poletti Sherwood

Tibradden could be said to be a museum of early building methods and farm buildings. It is home to a collection of buildings that date to the 1850’s, with wall construction methods including the traditional English cob – a rare sight in WA, locally sourced stone, clay bricks, pise and iron-clad timber framing. Roofing materials included thatching, wooden shingles and corrugated iron, both painted and unpainted. Tibradden’s structures also served a wide variety of purposes with two homesteads (one no longer standing), a kitchen, lodge, post office, mill, stables and cart shed, shearing shed, well and windmill, pump house, cemetery and a number of other sheds and outbuildings.

With assistance from the Heritage Grants Program, a Conservation Management Strategy is being compiled for Tibradden, which will guide future maintenance and conservation of the place and assist in identifying the many significant elements that comprise the place.

 Holman House
Holman House - Derby Town Commonage, Derby                                  $100,000.00
Heritage Place No. 7214

Heritage Architect: Stephen Carrick Architects

Perhaps best described as lost but not forgotten, Holman House was relocated to the Derby Town Commonage following community activism in 1986. Unfortunately its new position saw Holman House, the former Derby Hospital doctor’s residence, become vacant and fall into a serious state of disrepair. The presence of asbestos further complicated works at the site, seeing it deteriorate further still until plans for a new lease of life began in 2010. With the asbestos now cleared from the site, works to restore the building can commence.

To revitalise the building and bring it back to a useable state, defective structural timbers are being replaced before fresh cladding is installed to the exterior walls. The door and window openings will also be refurbished as part of the project which is a first step in an ambitious project to restore the building for use as a cultural centre.

Pemberton Precinct Pemberton Timber Mill Worker's Cottages Precinct                              $64,530.39
Heritage Place No. 11381

Heritage Consultant: (To be advised)

Residences within the Pemberton Timber Mill Worker’s Cottages Precinct were built between 1913 and 1951 to house workers at the State Saw Mills, which operated until 1961. The residences continued to be used as a mill workers’ precinct under different private milling companies until 2002, with many still home to local mill workers who now own, rather than lease the properties. The historic precinct is rare as a large collection of relatively intact timber mill workers cottages that share similar construction with locally sourced hardwood timber used for framing, stumps and weather boards and corrugated metal used for roofs.

With many of the cottages in place for over 100 years, a number of factors are impacting their stability, one of these being the slow creep of soil down the hill the Precinct is located on, and drainage issues due to Pemberton’s high rainfall. To help address these issues, an investigation will be undertaken to determine the exact causes, with low cost low maintenance solutions identified. This information will then be made available to owners of the cottages, so that the causes can be addressed, ensuring future efforts to restump or stabilise the cottages structures are long lasting.
Belay Farm Belay Farm Group, Walkaway (Greater Geraldton)                                  $14,034.25
Heritage Place No. 13900

Heritage Architect: Eastman Poletti Sherwood

One of WA’s earliest pastoral stations, the Belay Farm Group dates back to the 1850s and is a rare example of an early farm complex where most of the original buildings still stand, and are still being used for their original purposes.

In continuation of a steady program of conservation works, the owners sought assistance this year to replace defective guttering, fascia and scotia to the homestead and laundry-store. This will ensure rainwater is collected and disposed of away from the buildings, reducing any impacts from damp to the stone and brick buildings.
Empire Buildings
Empire Buildings - Stirling Terrace Precinct, Albany                               $62,472.00
Heritage Place No. 14922

Heritage Architect: H+H Architects

A member of Albany’s well known Stirling Terrace Precinct, the two-storey Empire Buildings were constructed in 1912. Standing proudly on the corner of Stirling Terrace and York Street in the Federation Free Classical style, the building first served as a theatre and shops. Currently in use as office space and retail, the owners applied for assistance to conserve the building’s exterior which is over 100 years old.

Repairs to cracking, re-pointing of brickwork, removal of moss and repainting will see the building’s façade structurally sound once again and ensure the building presents its best face to the many tourists and locals that frequent the Precinct.

inHerit - an online portal for heritage listings

Contact Us

Our Office hours are from Monday to Friday 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.


View Larger Map


Heritage is integral to the vibrant life and prosperity of Western Australia.
General Enquiries

Level 2, 491 Wellington Street, Perth WA 6000

PO Box 7479
Cloisters Square PO WA 6850

T: (08) 6552 4000
Freecall (regional): 1800 52 4000
F: (08) 6552 4001
info@stateheritage.wa.gov.au

Follow Us
@StateHeritage