Harwood's Cottage, Quindalup (1860s)
In 2000, Norma Andrews the owner of Hardwood's Cottage in Quindalup received a $20,000 from the Heritage Council's Heritage Grants Program to develop a conservation plan.
The conservation plan shaped Ms Andrews successful restoration of the once thriving Quindalup timber town from a derelict state into a successful café and tourist attraction.
The Slab Cottage Group, now known as Harwood's Cottage, comprises a group of buildings constructed in the 1860s. Now a café, the cottage is rare for its intact split slab construction. The government building operated as the district’s post office and telephone exchange from 1923 to 1966.
The successfully restoration is the culmination of a 20-year dream of Mrs Andrews when she inherited the property in 1988. Through her tireless efforts and a dedicated approach to conservation, these important buildings are now being enjoyed by countless local, national and international visitors.
Norma's efforts were rewarded at the 2015 WA Heritage Awards when she won the prestigious Judge's Award: The Professor David Dolan Award for her conservation work.