Cygnet Cinema, Como (1938)
Watch the Channel Nine News story on Cygnet Cinema.
Think back to the days when going to the cinema was an event, when couples dressed smartly to escape for a few hours into the world of make-believe provided by Hollywood classics.
This nostalgic venue, the first purpose built sounds cinema in the southern suburbs, reflects the popularity of cinema entertainment in the 1930s. Adding to the charm of the occasion was the idea that residents no longer had to travel outside of Como to see a film, whilst the ferry and tram drew others in from surrounding suburbs.
Originally named the Como Theatre, it is an excellent example of the art deco styling of architect William Leighton whose contribution to cinema design in the 1930s was exciting and distinctive.
Today, the Cygnet continues to operate as a cinema and remains largely unchanged since its opening in 1938. It joins a number of Art Deco suburban cinemas that have survived the onslaught of large cinema complexes, including Perth’s Piccadilly Theatre, Mt Lawley’s Astor Theatre, and Nedlands’ Windsor Theatre.
Read more about Cygnet Cinema by downloading the Register Entry and Assessment Documentation
Return to the Main Gallery list