Coogee Hotel and Post Office (1898)
Commencing construction in 1898, the former Coogee Hotel was built as a 'honeymoon' hotel, with the Post Office added in the mid 1920s. The hotel and post office are all that remain of a thriving social and retail precinct and destination for visitors, holiday makers and the Coogee community from the 1900s to the 1920s. The precinct once comprised a railway station, two racecourses, the popular family beach and the hotel, adjacent post office and store.
For nearly 40 years, the former hotel was run by the Anglican Church, firstly as a children’s holiday camp during the depression years, and later, as a children’s home from the end of World War II until 1967.
Today, the former Coogee Hotel and Post Office are owned by Main Roads WA, which no longer requires the buildings. Main Roads sought the assistance of the State Heritage Office’s Heritage Works division to help prepare the property for sale. Heritage Works invested $500,000 in conservation works, site maintenance and planning. Now completed, the conservation works have seen the removal of intrusive additions to the hotel and post office buildings, as well as repairs to stonemasonry, verandahs and joinery. The works have reversed previous unsympathetic repairs, and present the place in sound condition for a new era of active use.
The conservation works have prepared the former Coogee Hotel and Post Office site to be adapted for a range of commercial or residential uses compatible with its location.
Click on any image below to begin gallery